Thursday, June 22, 2006

While You Were Out

A few days ago, I was watering some plants on our back porch when I noticed that the gentleman who (evidently) moved into the house behind us some time this Spring was carefully clipping the vines around our split-rail fence.

During my brief visits home over the last few months, I had noticed that he was spending quite a lot of time in his side yard - near our fence. So, I was not surprised to see a fringe of red, tilled clay appear, just beyond our tree-line. I was a little surprised that it was as near to our fence as it was but I thought little of it and chalked it up to trying to roto-til red clay.

On the day in question, however, I noticed that he was carefully trimming the weeds and vines growing on our fence - and over onto our side of it. Well, even then, I might have said nothing but for the fact that he was working around some poison ivy.

As much as I could understand his desire to keep the pernicious weeds in our yard from encroaching on his garden, I decided to go out and warn him about the poison ivy while, at the same time, letting him know that - how shall I put it? - his responsibility for weeding ended at the property line.

Now, our fence is not directly on the property line, of course. It is actually almost a foot inside of the line for maintenance purposes but my attempts to explain this to him were fruitless.

Turns out that English is not his native language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home