Saturday, June 10, 2006

Jiggity-Jig

Home again.

I know it's Home because my laundry is still where I left it a few weeks back.

SoBoy is only back for a couple of days and then he's heading back up to ChiTown.

I, on the other hand, get to stay Home.

Of course, that means dusting the house for the first time in (mumble) weeks and things of that nature. I don't know where anything is anymore and there are a surprising number of things at our house that have mysteriously ceased to function.

Perhaps they felt abandoned - although, I was careful to let the house know that I was only going away for a while and promised that I would be back as soon as I could. Not wanting it to feel neglected, I tried to let it know that it was loved and even bought the house a few presents: placemats and napkins and such. I planted flowers and saw that everything was cared for in our absence.

That being the case, I feel certain that the demise of the cable box, a computer and a mailbox, etc. are not linked to our absence in any meaningful way but are, in fact, merely things that one generally attends to during the course of daily routine with scarcely a notice but which - come upon all at once - sucks the fun out of a weekend.

All in all, I think chez nous has managed on its own quite well. Still, I like to think that it is glad to have us back again.

As for the Chicago apartment: I thanked it profusely before I left. I blew it a kiss, while I waited for the taxi to the airport. I even waved farewell to the neighborhood, as we pulled away from the curb.

Funny how soon a place can begin to feel like home.

Like home.

But not Home.

And I'm Home again.

Jiggity.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home